Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lost in Austin - Wednesday

So, here is the band rundown:
  1. Lo-Pan – see previous post
  2. Dark Castle – We were walking out and heard their sound check and stayed. No need. The guttural death metal throat singing from the tiny, tattoo-festooned lady leading the two-piece wore out its welcome 30 seconds later…
  3. Bobby – Pleasant pop. Seemed like we liked them at the time, but I have kind of forgotten everything about them except that they locked into a groove at the end that felt quite summery.
  4. Allyssi – boring woman with an acoustic guitar
  5. Smith Westerns – I was geared up to hate them because they are 12 and the flavor of the month…but they were really good. I’ve picked up their new album since.

  6. Tristen and the Ringers – they have escaped my memory. I guess that says it all.
  7. Dale Earnhardt jr jr – I wish they had escaped my memory. One of the worst, most disappointing performances in SXSW history. It did not have to be---they had all the makings of great schtick: pit crew outfits, giant JR JR lights (a la Elvis), a clever name. But alas, they did not play off of any of that and sounded like a bad Chromeo cover band. Ouch.
  8. Guadalupe Plata – Spaniards playing raucous Chicago blues. Not as good as the real thing…
  9. The Bewitched Hands – Our first DeRogatis sighting, so I should have known I was wrong to dismiss them as “rock school” early in the set. They won me over as the French alternative to Broken Social Scene. Catchy stuff. A real find. And we were there to see the next band…
  10. Yeti Lane…who were not very good. We left early. More proof that a cool name masks a blah band…
  11. X-ray Eyes – Fun, but not so great, garage band
  12. Surfer Blood – I don’t get it. They should be good. Second time I have seen them live and second time I have been underwhelmed and surprised that they were not louder. Catchy songs that go limp live.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

* If you like Smith Westerns, check out Motel Beds. Search "Motel Beds Bandcamp" and listen to Sunfried Dreams. One of my favorite albums of the spring.

* Sorry about Dale Jr. Jr. I take full blame.

* Surfer Blood sucks. End of story. Too bad you guys couldn't catch Surf City. Now THEY are good!