Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sights that made me smile on my commute home on Inauguration Night

It wasn't my wedding.

Not a family holiday.

Not even my Bar Mitzvah.

But today probably ranked up there as one of the happier and more memorable days I've had.

Folks on the El were oddly quiet this evening. I thought there would be boisterous crowds---but instead everyone seemed to be sitting quietly, seemingly thoughtful, aside from the big cartoonish grins on everybody's faces.

The banners have been up in front of City Hall and in Hyde Park since the day after the election---but they take on a different meaning today. The city seemed a little more glittery this evening, even if all the stars were in DC. But the spirit is undeniable. And there's a sense that this man can make a difference...fix this hole we have gotten into morally and financially...locally, nationally, and apparently at the retail level...

Relief.

In the end, today just felt as though the constellations somehow came back into alignment. Something just sorta fixed itself. Hopefully it will take, but I am thankful for even this momentarily reprieve from the ever-more-crushing sense that things were moving in an irredeemably bad direction.

I am sure that the new administration will irk me fast, but I appreciate this odd new sensation that maybe we can make things right.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Great comments...though coming from you I wouldn't expect anything less. What a day. I hugged Park a little longer today thinking about the possibilites he has ahead of him and it made me cry.

Also, he stood by himself today without holding on to anything for the first time. THAT was a pretty amazing feeling.