Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Getting out

It's summer...finally...get out and have fun.

We have been trying. And some of our nature exploits have me plotting my next writing gig.

Last month, we packed Isaiah up and headed out to Starved Rock State Park. And when I say packed up, I mean it. He was bundled into a pack and strapped to my shoulders. They say our troops in Iraq carry 60 pounds on their back all the time---cripes, Isaiah is just shy of 30 pounds and I was ready to fall out after a few miles of hiking.

Still, worthwhile. The Illinois River was way up over its banks, so I was robbed of the opportunity to take an Asian carp cruise. But the views of the river valley from the actual Starved Rock and other elevated perches were stunning and the canyons (as close as we get to them in flat prairie that is) are just cool---plus this is my favorite photo in a while.

We also ventured west in the city to Sherman Park, home to mysterious invasive fresh water jelly fish and a nearby melting church.

Both trips were reminders that we needn't stare tired and bleary-eyed at Isaiah on weekend mornings. Farmer's markets, parks, fests, and nature await if I coffee-up quickly enough to meet the day. And its good writing fodder. The Sherman Park visit was good for a weekend of Chicagoist posts. And the search for invasive species has me charged up about a book or long-form article idea that I am running past some folks.

No comments: